This Page

has been moved to new address

Comparison: Pure Ice Purple Reign vs. OPI Catherine the Grape

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Nail Noir: Comparison: Pure Ice Purple Reign vs. OPI Catherine the Grape

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Comparison: Pure Ice Purple Reign vs. OPI Catherine the Grape

Today I'm comparing two smoky purples. I originally thought these two shades were close, but after reviewing them side-by-side, it's clear that they are not.



This is two coats of Catherine the Grape on the pointer and ring fingers, and three coats of Purple Reign on the middle and pinky fingers (no topcoat on either):



As you can see, Purple Reign has a cool base while Catherine the Grape is more warm and red-based. The gold shimmer is also different; PR has large shimmer particles while CtG has ribbons of gold microshimmer.





Formula wise, CtG wins. It was perfectly opaque in two coats, while PR was still a little patchy after the second coat. Both were easy to apply and had good consistency.

Final Verdict: I originally called PR the more outgoing sister of CTG, but now I'm going to change that and call PR a second cousin LOL. They aren't even close to being dupes and if you love purple, you probably need both.

I'm going to be doing comparisons all week.

Happy painting!

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At June 19, 2011 at 2:27 PM , Blogger Biba said...

Oh, I want both! :D

 
At June 19, 2011 at 2:49 PM , Blogger marox79 said...

I like Catherine the Grape enough to have put it on my WL some time ago. Pure Ice is nice too and could be a good alternative as long as you don't mind it not being a 100% accurate dupe. The differences between them reminds me of a recent comparison I did myself.

 
At June 19, 2011 at 2:50 PM , Blogger marox79 said...

Btw, I like comparison posts.

 
At June 19, 2011 at 2:56 PM , Blogger KarenD said...

Nice post--in the bottle they do look like they'd be closer.

 
At June 26, 2011 at 9:31 PM , Blogger NailsByCourteney said...

CtG looks amazing with your skin tone!! Divine!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home